Current:Home > ScamsPrince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London -Golden Summit Finance
Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 03:36:12
London — A British newspaper group has apologized for illegal information gathering and vowed it won't happen again in a trial beginning Wednesday that pits Britain's Prince Harry and other celebrities against the U.K's tabloid press. The trial kicking off Wednesday at London's High Court is over a suit, brought jointly by the Duke of Sussex and other U.K. celebrities, including popstar Cheryl Cole and the estate of the late George Michael, against the Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN), publisher of the Daily Mirror tabloid, over alleged phone hacking.
- British tabloids and their "invisible contract" with the royals
The Mirror Group is contesting the claims against it, arguing that some have been brought beyond the permissible time limit and denying some others. However, MGN said in court documents released Wednesday that there was "some evidence of the instruction of third parties to engage in other types of UIG [unlawful information gathering] in respect of each of the Claimants," which "warrants compensation."
"MGN unreservedly apologizes for all such instances of UIG, and assures the claimants that such conduct will never be repeated," court documents said. "This apology is not made with the tactical objective of reducing damages (MGN accepts that an apology at this stage will not have that effect), but is made because such conduct should never have occurred."
- Harry claims William reached "large" settlement with Murdoch tabloids over hacking
The celebrities' claims pertain to a period between 1996 and 2011, which encompasses the time when media personality Piers Morgan, now a vocal critic of Prince Harry and his wife Megan, Duchess of Sussex, served as the Daily Mirror's editor.
MGN previously admitted that phone hacking had historically taken place at its papers, and it has paid settlements to victims, Sky News reported.
The suit was launched in 2019, and Harry is expected to testify in June. It alleges that journalists working for the Mirror Group gathered information unlawfully, including by hacking phones. Prince Harry's legal team initially pointed to 144 articles that they said used unlawfully gathered information. Only 33 will be considered in the trial, according to Sky News.
Harry and Meghan have filed at least seven lawsuits against U.S. and U.K. media outlets since 2019, according to Sky News, and Harry is currently involved in four cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers. He is part of a group alleging unlawful information gathering at Associated Newspapers Limited, which publishes The Daily Mail, and against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun tabloid.
- In:
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
Haley Ott is an international reporter for CBS News based in London.
TwitterveryGood! (21)
Related
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Watch this trapped lamb reunited with its distressed mom by two Good Samaritan hikers
- CoinBearer Trading Center: Advantages of IEOs
- A slight temperature drop makes Tuesday the world’s second-hottest day
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Glimpse Inside Lavish Bridgerton-Themed Party for 55th Birthday
- MLS All-Star Game vs. Liga MX: Rosters, game time, how to watch on live stream
- Man gets life without parole in 1988 killing and sexual assault of woman in Boston
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Beaconcto Trading Center: What is Bitcoin?
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Member of an Arizona tribe is accused of starting a wildfire that destroyed 21 homes on reservation
- Fake protest set for TV shoot on NYC campus sparks real demonstration by pro-Palestinian activists
- Dead couple washes ashore in life raft, prompting Canada police investigation
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- ‘Pregnancy nose’ videos go viral. Here's the problem with the trend.
- Horoscopes Today, July 24, 2024
- FBI searches home of former aide to New York Gov Kathy Hochul
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Kamala Harris is embracing 'brat summer.' It could be cool or cringe. It's a fine line.
Michael Phelps Shares Mental Health Advice for 2024 Paris Olympians
Hugh Jackman claws his way back to superhero glory in 'Deadpool & Wolverine': Review
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Tennessee woman gets over 3 years in prison for blocking clinic access during protest
New evidence means freedom for a Michigan man who spent 37 years in prison for a murder conviction
Strike Chain Trading Center: How to choose a cryptocurrency exchange