Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out -Golden Summit Finance
Rekubit-Families in Massachusetts overflow shelters will have to document efforts to find a path out
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 05:16:46
BOSTON (AP) — Families staying in overflow shelter sites in Massachusetts will soon have Rekubitto document each month their efforts to find a path out of the overflow system, including looking for housing or a job, Massachusetts Gov. Maura Healey announced Monday.
Beginning May 1, families will have to be recertified monthly to remain eligible to stay in the state-run overflow sites.
They will need to show what steps they’ve taken to work toward independence, including applying for work authorization permits, participating in a workforce training program, submitting job applications, taking English classes or searching for housing, according to the administration.
“We have said for months now that our system is at capacity, and we do not have the space, providers or funding to continue expanding,” Emergency Assistance Director General Scott Rice said. “This new certification policy is a responsible step to address the capacity constraints at our safety-net sites.”
The policy does not apply to sites operated by the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, a charitable organization.
Massachusetts has been grappling with the growing influx of homeless migrant families seeking shelter in the state.
The state’s Emergency Assistance family shelter system serves homeless families with children or pregnant women. Less than half of families in EA are new arrivals to Massachusetts.
Last fall, the administration announced that the system could no longer safely or responsibly expand and set up a waiting list. Families who qualify for emergency shelter and are on the waiting list are eligible to stay at the state’s overflow or safety-net sites, currently providing shelter for about 200 families.
The administration also announced Monday that it will be opening a new overflow shelter site next month in Chelsea at the former Chelsea Soldiers’ Home. The site is vacant and is eventually slated to be demolished.
At full capacity, the Chelsea site will be able to accommodate approximately 100 families.
The announcement comes after the Massachusetts Senate last week approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote of 32-8, the state would limit maximum stays to nine months with the possibility of 90 more days for veterans, pregnant women and people who are employed or enrolled in a job training program.
Currently, there are no limits on the time a family can spend in emergency housing.
A bill already passed by the House would provide funding covering the rest of the 2024 fiscal year that ends June 30 and part of 2025. The legislation is expected to go to a conference committee to hammer out a single compromise bill before it’s shipped to Democratic Gov. Maura Healey’s desk.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Showcases Baby Bump in Elevator Selfie
- How Prince Harry and Prince William Are Joining Forces in Honor of Late Mom Princess Diana
- Our final thoughts on the influencer industry
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- The Oakland A's are on the verge of moving to Las Vegas
- Warming Trends: Weather Guarantees for Your Vacation, Plus the Benefits of Microbial Proteins and an Urban Bias Against the Environment
- Has JPMorgan Chase grown too large? A former White House economic adviser weighs in
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- New Study Identifies Rapidly Emerging Threats to Oceans
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- House Republicans hope their debt limit bill will get Biden to the negotiating table
- Tucker Carlson ousted at Fox News following network's $787 million settlement
- It's an Even Bigger Day When These Celebrity Bridesmaids Are Walking Down the Aisle
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Inside the Murder Case Against a Utah Mom Who Wrote a Book on Grief After Her Husband's Sudden Death
- Nuclear Energy Industry Angles for Bigger Role in Washington State and US as Climate Change Accelerates
- Pamper Yourself With the Top 18 Trending Beauty Products on Amazon Right Now
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Inside Clean Energy: Electric Vehicles Are Having a Banner Year. Here Are the Numbers
Who Olivia Rodrigo Fans Think Her New Song Vampire Is Really About
More Mountain Glacier Collapses Feared as Heat Waves Engulf the Northern Hemisphere
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
Fernanda Ramirez Is “Obsessed With” This Long-Lasting, Non-Sticky Lip Gloss
An Unprecedented Heat Wave in India and Pakistan Is Putting the Lives of More Than a Billion People at Risk
When you realize your favorite new song was written and performed by ... AI