Current:Home > MyPoinbank Exchange|Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information -Golden Summit Finance
Poinbank Exchange|Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:26:19
FORT LAUDERDALE,Poinbank Exchange Fla. (AP) — A South Florida judge removed the lead prosecutor in the double murder retrial of rapper YNW Melly on Thursday after defense attorneys claimed prosecutors didn’t reveal that the lead detective in the case had been previously accused of being willing to lie as he gathered evidence.
Broward Circuit Court Judge John Murphy granted the defense’s motion to recuse prosecutor Kristine Bradley in an abundance of caution. The judge didn’t find that Bradley’s integrity had been comprised but agreed that she couldn’t serve as a prosecutor on the case if the defense was planning to call her as a witness regarding the credibility of one of the investigators.
Jury selection is set to begin next week, and no replacement for Bradley was immediately announced.
Last week, attorneys for Melly, whose legal name is Jamell Demons, asked Murphy to remove the Broward State Attorney’s Office from the case and potentially dismiss the case entirely. The request came after Assistant State Attorney Michelle Boutros, who works for the Broward office, testified that she overheard the lead investigator in the case against Demons, Mark Moretti, ask a Broward County deputy to lie about being present when Moretti executed a search warrant outside his jurisdiction last October, forcibly seizing a phone from Demons’ mother as part of a witness tampering investigation.
Defense attorney Jamie Benjamin said that information should have been turned over to the defense because they could have used it to discredit Moretti during Demons’ recent murder trial, which ended in July with a hung jury.
Prosecutors say the exchange between Moretti and the deputy was a joke, pointing to the fact that an attorney for Demons’ mother was present when her phone was taken and would have known the deputy wasn’t there.
Demons’ first murder trial ended with a 9-3 vote for conviction.
Melly faces a possible death sentence if convicted of first-degree murder in the 2018 slayings of two childhood friends, Christopher “YNW Juvy” Thomas and Anthony “YNW Sakchaser” Williams. Their stage names all include “YNW” because they belonged to the same hip-hop collective. It stands for “Young New Wave” or another phrase that includes a racial slur.
Prosecutors say Melly, after a late-night recording session, shot Thomas and Williams inside an SUV and he and Cortlen “YNW Bortlen” Henry then tried to make it look like a drive-by shooting. The 24-year-old rapper remains jailed without bond. Melly’s biggest hit, “Murder on My Mind,” reached No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2019.
veryGood! (186)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Kia, Hyundai car owners can claim piece of $145M theft settlement next week, law firm says
- One Tech Tip: Don’t use rice for your device. Here’s how to dry out your smartphone
- Zach Wilson landing spots: Three teams that make sense for Jets QB
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Billie Eilish performing Oscar-nominated song What Was I Made For? from Barbie at 2024 Academy Awards
- Cyndi Lauper inks deal with firm behind ABBA Voyage for new immersive performance project
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore lays out plan to fight child poverty
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Maine’s deadliest shooting spurs additional gun control proposals
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Ferguson, Missouri, to pay $4.5 million to settle claims it illegally jailed thousands
- Are you eligible for Walmart's weighted groceries $45 million settlement? What to know
- Idaho delays execution of serial killer Thomas Creech after failed lethal injection attempts
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Digital outlets The Intercept, Raw Story and AlterNet sue OpenAI for unauthorized use of journalism
- 2024 NFL draft: Notre Dame's Joe Alt leads top 5 offensive tackle prospect list
- Conservationist Aldo Leopold’s last remaining child dies at 97
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Republicans block Senate bill to protect nationwide access to IVF treatments
Kansas City Chiefs superfan 'ChiefsAholic' pleads guilty to bank robberies
Family that wanted to build world’s tallest flagpole to pay $250K fine for cabins
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Richard Lewis, stand-up comedian and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' actor, dies at 76
Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Romance Timeline Has New Detail Revealed
Airlines could face more fines for mishandling wheelchairs under a Biden administration proposal